Thursday, September 11, 2008

Examples of appeals from "Pride and Prejudice"

Logos- "My Faults according to this calculation, are heavy indeed! But perhaps, these offenses might have been overlooked, had not your pride been hurt by my honest confession of the scruples that had long prevented my forming any serious design."- This is an example of Logos because Mr. Darcy says that what Elizabeth is saying may be true, but then states his opposing argument. He demonstrates that he considered what Elizabeth has said before saying what he believes.

Pathos - I perfectly comprehend your feelings, and have now only to be ashamed of my own." - This is an example of Pathos because Mr. Darcy clearly states his feelings.

Ethos - "I have no wish of denying that i did everything in my power to separate my friend from your sister, or that i rejoice in my success. Towards him I have been kinder than towards myself." - This is an example of Ethos because Mr. Darcy is saying this things and acting as a concerned friend. He is appealing to Elizabeth that he was looking out for his friend to make him better off.

No comments: